Different council renters have actually various tenancies. These offer you rights that are different obligations.
Brand brand New council renters are provided a basic tenancy. These frequently last year and therefore are such as a period that is‘trial.
You immediately be a protected or versatile tenant after year, unless your council has either:
- started action to evict you
- extended your tenancy that is introductory for further six months
You will find restrictions from what you certainly can do by having a tenancy that is introductory for instance you can not:
- make major improvements to the home
- swap another council tenant to your property
- connect with purchase your home through the proper to russian mail order wives purchase scheme
As being a tenant that is secure you can easily typically reside in the house for your whole life, if you try not to break the conditions associated with the tenancy.
- lease away spaces – you cannot sub-let the property that is whole
- purchase your home through the ability to purchase scheme
- swap your house with another council or housing relationship tenant – along with your council’s permission
- transfer your tenancy to another person in a few circumstances
- help with your house – you’ll need authorization from your own council for many kinds of work
Scottish tenancy that is secure
You’ll often have A scottish secure tenancy if you lease your house through the council, a housing association or housing co-operative in Scotland.
As a versatile tenant, you’ve got tenancy for a fixed duration. This is for at the very least 5 years, though in certain full situations it may possibly be between 2 and 5 years.
At the conclusion of the fixed period the council might wish to:
- give you another fixed-term tenancy
- provide you with a safe tenancy
- maybe maybe not restore your tenancy
They need to explain their reasons you a chance to challenge the decision if they decide not to renew your tenancy and give.
As a tenant that is flexible can:
- rent down spaces – you cannot sub-let the property that is whole
- purchase your home through the best to Buy scheme
- swap another council to your home or housing relationship tenant – along with your council’s permission
- move your tenancy to another person in a few circumstances
All the tenants share equal responsibility under a joint tenancy.
You can easily submit an application for a joint tenancy at any moment if you’re married or in a registered partnership that is civil. You need to often have lived together during the property for at the very least year if you’re a cohabiting couple or relevant (like sister and brother).
Moving your tenancy
Secure and flexible tenants may have the ability to move a tenancy to somebody else, or, in certain circumstances, pass for a tenancy to some body if they die.
Protected tenancies issued before 1 April 2012 could be transmitted or offered just once. For example, you cannot pass on the tenancy to someone else when you die if you take over a tenancy when someone dies.
Some safe and tenancies that are flexible from 1 April 2012 may suggest you are able to move or pass in your tenancy more often than once – look at your tenancy contract.
To move a tenancy, complete a ‘request to designate tenancy’ form, offered by your council’s that are local department.
Closing your tenancy
Your tenancy can only be ended if:
- you supply the council 4 weeks notice that is composing
- the council evicts you
- the council has to go you, as an example to redevelop the home – it will give you a property that is brand new a new tenancy without any less protection
Protected tenancies can additionally end if:
- the council has to go you, for instance to redevelop your premises you a new property and a new secure tenancy– it should offer
- you move your tenancy to somebody else or swap domiciles
Closing joint tenancies
If perhaps certainly one of you desires to end the tenancy therefore the other joint tenant(s) would like to remain in the house, your council may:
- supply the remaining tenant(s) an innovative new tenancy in the exact same home
- perhaps not provide them with a brand new tenancy, as an example since the home might be agreed to another few or family members
If one joint tenant dies, the tenancy continues for the surviving tenant(s).
You cannot agree on who gets the tenancy, a court can decide this if you and your partner divorce or your relationship breaks down and.